Airline credit cards are a great way to get the most value out of your frequent flying. With cashback bonuses, free flights, and exclusive access to lounges and other perks, you can make every trip count. Not only will you save money on flights and fees, but you’ll enjoy a smoother ride with expedited check-in and higher levels of service. Additionally, many airline credit cards have no minimum spend requirement, so you don’t have to be a huge traveler to see the benefits.
Are you ready for takeoff?
Here are the 10 top airline credit cards of 2023:
1. CapitalOne Venture
If you’re a frequent flyer, the Capital One Venture card is certainly worth exploring. Not only does it allow you to earn more points when flying with your favorite airlines, but it also offers some amazing perks that can make your next flight even more enjoyable.
Let’s review the top ones:
- Cardholders get two miles per dollar spent on every purchase.
- And they get five miles per dollar spent on hotels and rental cars that are booked through Capital One Travel.
- Additionally, new card members will get 75,000 miles after spending their first $4,000 within three months of account opening.
- Add in its no foreign transaction fees feature, and it’s easy to see why the Capital One Venture is such a smart choice for those who frequently find themselves in the skies.
CapitalOne Venture has an annual fee of $95, but you’ll quickly recoup this amount with all the perks the card offers.
Overall, this card really packs a punch in terms of travel benefits. But if you want a similar CapitalOne travel card with no annual fee, take a look at the VentureOne card.
2. CapitalOne VentureOne
VentureOne by CapitalOne is a no-fee card that allows you to earn 1.25 miles on every dollar spent.
- The card has no foreign transaction fees.
- You’ll earn 20,000 bonus miles after signing up and spending $500 on purchases within the first three months. Plus, this card has 0% APR for the first 15 months after opening.
3. Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
The Chase Sapphire Preferred Card not only has incredible travel benefits but top-notch airline perks as well. Whether it’s booking a flight for your next vacation or simply commuting for work, you can be sure you’re getting the best treatment and saving some money in the process.
- With this card, users receive two points for every dollar spent on travel expenses (including airfare), hotel stays, rental cars, and more.
- If you book through the Ultimate Rewards portal with your Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, you get even more value by receiving 25% more points than when booking directly with a certain airline or hotel.
Take advantage of these airline perks and surprise yourself with how far that extra reward point goes toward your next journey!
4. JetBlue Plus Card
JetBlue Plus Card cardholders will experience a myriad of special privileges while they travel.
- This points-based card comes with 60,000 TrueBlue bonus points after you spend $1,000 on purchases within 90 days of account opening.
- Not only that, you’ll receive 5,000 bonus points on every account anniversary and 50% off on eligible JetBlue in-flight purchases.
If you enjoy flying the JetBlue experience, this airline credit card is an ideal way to maximize every trip and make it even more enjoyable.
5. The Platinum Card from American Express
The Platinum Card from American Express is one of the best options out there for travelers. Not only can you enjoy access to the American Express Global Lounge Collection, but you’ll also be showered with airline perks.
- Cardmembers will get a $200 airline fee credit to be used on a flight of their choice.
- What’s more, they’ll also receive priority boarding to make sure that they get the best seats possible and can board comfortably.
- Further perks include 5x rewards points on eligible flights booked through American Express Travel, a $200 hotel credit, $200 in Uber cash, and more.
With so many fantastic benefits available, there’s never been a better time to take advantage of all that The Platinum Card from American Express has to offer!
Note that the approval requirements for a Platinum Card are tough. And once you’re approved, you’ll still need to pay a $695 annual fee. So this option may not be for everyone.
6. Delta SkyMiles Gold American Express
With Delta SkyMiles Gold American Express, you’ll have access to exceptional in-flight benefits and airport privileges.
- For starters, you’ll get your first checked bag for free. And you’ll always receive Main Cabin 1 priority boarding.
- Plus, you’ll enjoy lounge access, discounted fares for family members traveling with you, and complimentary upgrades on certain events.
- All these great perks come with the peace of mind of knowing that your miles won’t expire as long as your card is active!
7. Discover it Miles
Discover’s no annual fee travel card packs a lot of rewards.
- The card offers 1.5x miles on every dollar you spend — this applies to every purchase.
- Additionally, Discover will match all the miles earned at the end of your first year after account opening. And if you’re traveling internationally, you can swipe without worry: Discover it Miles cards have no foreign transaction fees.
- Add to that that they’re accepted at 99% of retail establishments nationwide. So you’ll never have to worry about your purchases being declined.
8. Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard
For those looking to fly in style and save money while doing so, the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard is an ideal choice.
- As a cardholder, you’ll enjoy generous perks on American Airlines flights, such as priority boarding, pre-selected seating, and discounts off select in-flight purchases.
- Additionally, you’ll earn a whopping two miles per dollar spent at gas stations, restaurants, and on other eligible purchases.
It goes without saying (but we’ll say it anyway) that this card has no foreign transaction fees. And you can add authorized users to your card at no additional cost to you.
9. Aeroplan Credit Card
The Aeroplan card by TD Bank and Air Canada offers great ways to maximize your miles. Get exclusive access to airport lounges, discounts on car rentals, and other benefits only available to cardholders. The TD Aeroplan card has three tiers: TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum, Visa Infinite, and Visa Infinite Privilege. With the points you earn from your everyday spending, you’ll get incredible travel savings from these cards. Plus, you’ll earn perks like free checked bags, free trip cancellation, and annual fee rebates. Note that only Canadian residents are eligible for Aeroplan credit cards.
10. United Explorer Card
The United Explorer Card has some incredible perks.
- From priority boarding to two complimentary United Club passes each year, you can start enjoying benefits on your next flight.
- You’ll also get a free checked bag per itinerary and 25% back on in-flight purchases like food and drinks. And that’s not all.
- This card gives you access to exclusive travel deals and discounts only available to members of the United Explorer Card loyalty program.
Airline credit cards FAQs
What credit score is needed for airline credit cards?
Generally, airline cards will require an excellent credit score. This means anything above 700 is approvable. Keep in mind that just because you meet the minimum score doesn’t mean you’ll automatically be granted an airline card; it may depend on other factors such as income, total debt, and whether you’ve had any negative marks with creditors in the past.
Do airline miles expire?
Yes, most often, accumulated airline miles will expire within a few months. But it depends on the credit card program. Some, such as the Delta Sky Miles Gold AMEX, offer perks like miles with no expiration dates.